To: The Government of The Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
- United Nations Environment Programme. (UNEP)
- The Global Programme of Action for The Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities (GPA)
- H.E. Secretary-General of ASEAN. - Mr. Le Luong Minh
- The Secretary-General of ASEAN. 2013-2017
- Committee of Permanent Representatives to ASEAN
From: Bao Nguyen & Nguyen Ngoc Nhu Quynh
Date: April 30th, 2016
Re: Mass fish deaths in Vietnam
We would like to draw to your immediate attention to the mass fish deaths that occurred 26 days ago along the country's central coastal provinces (Ha Tinh, Quang Tri, Quang Binh, and Thua Thien Hue).
There have been no official announcements, no declaration of a marine environmental disaster from the authorities, and no investigation of this spate of continued mass fish deaths, and to take measures for damage and loss, despite local peoples efforts calling for help?
We urge the Government of Vietnam to take the following actions immediately to tackle this marine environmental disaster in the central coast:
1. To declare the marine environmental disaster along the country's central coastal provinces (Ha Tinh, Quang Tri, Quang Binh, and Thua Thien Hue) and apply the conditions of disaster relief with immediate effect.
2. To establish a Governmental body who is responsible for the marine environmental disaster and disaster relief, and to direct those scientific research units to conduct their investigation to identify the cause of this marine environmental disaster with immediate effect.
3. To inform and invite the participation of international organizations, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Non-profit environmental organizations who have been funding Vietnam in research, dealing with environmental disasters and marine environmental disasters in order to set up a competent and independent professional body controlling reports of investigation in relation to current ongoing marine environmental disaster.
We urge the Government of Vietnam to take those mentioned actions immediately and to make public all the information in order to maintain the safety conditions within the area of disaster as well as to consolidate our trust by undertaking the disaster relief to compensate damages and losses.
Please add your name below to send this petition to the Government of Vietnam to urge the addressed to take action immediately to investigate and save the marine environment.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Bao Nguyen & Nguyen Ngoc Nhu Quynh